Quintessential Cheese balls...



 
 
  
 Rains tend to  have a crazy effect on me..It turns me from your regular S to a perennially gluttonous and hungry  for yummies S!
You think its easy being me?? Ha! 

Conversation with an old friend : 
"I am starting exercising Monday" !
And she says.. today IS Monday S... 
I : " Hmm.... I meant next Monday.. Pakka!! " 

But then isn't there something about the drizzly weather that makes you wanna snuggle in a bed with warm cuppa coffee or tea or scotch ( whatever floats your boat really)!
Don't you see the rolling grey clouds and wish for a Genie to appear from somewhere and start serving you delicacies so that you can simply savour them without going to the effort of making them??
Doesn't it become extra tough to let go of that extra "last" helping of a delicious pakora ??
Doesn't lazy become your middle name in the monsoons?? Err... No???  Ok ...so its just me then! (Rolling my eyes... Shhhh ..Don't tell anyone) 
Don't you love getting drenched in the down pour and suddenly become nostalgic for your siblings??
Don't you call up school friends just to discuss "rem that one time when school was declared closed coz of rains and we ended up doing xyz"?  ;) :P
Don't you start missing your mom's simple food?

It does to you too?? Lordy Lord!! Here I was thinking this only happens to me ;)
Now that we are sharing life histories and all... how can I not share this delectable yumm recipe that I have been making for the longest time now!!

Rains or no rain, when you need a simple crowd pleaser , I close my eyes, buckle my apron...say a prayer to the Lord of all fat people( Dear God, Pls forgive me for I am about to eat cheese , Again!) and get started!!
And you should get started on this too... ASAP. Hail the Rain God! ;) 


    Ingredients:



3/4 cup boiled sweet corn kernels, crushed coarsely      

1 tbsp plain flour (maida)                                                                  
1/2 cup milk


1 tbsp chopped celery
1 tsp chopped green chillies


 Minced ginger 1 tsp
salt to taste
Paprika 1 tsp or more if desired

Chaat masala 1 tsp

For the coating
 


1/4 cup plain flour (maida)
bread crumbs

Other ingredients
 


 oil for deep-frying



 

Method

  1. Heat the butter in a pan, add the flour and sauté for a minute.
  2. Add the milk and keep stirring till the mixture becomes very thick. Cool completely.
  3. Add the corn, celery, green chillies, cheese and salt and spices to the cooled white sauce and mix well.
  4. Divide the mixture into 16 equal portions and shape them into even sized balls.
  5. Mix ¼ cup of flour with water to make a thin paste. Dip the corn balls into the paste.
  6. Roll into the breadcrumbs ( I add a little salt, red chillie powder to my bread crumbs for more seasoning, but its optional)  in such a way that they coat the corn balls completely. Chill for 20 minutes. Keep aside.
  7. Heat the oil in a kadhai and deep-fry the balls in it till they are golden brown.
  8. Drain on absorbent paper and serve immediately






Labels: , , , ,