Mushroom achaari tikka with cheese dip




Lets talk firsts today!
Typically as humans we have the proclivity to remember our first times..The first time you sat on a Ferris wheel, first major fight with your best friend, your first bike,  first all night out with friends..your first love..first kiss...first time u held a baby and so on...
I also remember the first dish I learnt all on my own and decided it was a keeper all by myself.          Its called belief. or self confidence.. I didn't need any validation for this dish, coz I took a bite of the sumptuous perfectly cooked mushrooms with the twisted cheese dip ..and my oh my... was I happy !!! 

Needless to say its something that is much loved today by my family..In fact by father in law who is a big mushroom lover like me ( yikes..sounds weird huh?) very coyly asks if I have some mushrooms lying around when ever he visits..and my mother in law..well she and my dear weird hubby, gorge on the dip..with chips, nachos, garlic bread ,basic crackers and sometimes even by itself!! 
I know... I was just as scandalized as you are!! :P 


So what makes this so good?? Well first, mushrooms and spice are a match made in food heaven...especially when its an achaari spice rub! Its aromatic and flavorful ..the mushrooms remain plump even after the sauteing, it soaks in the varied flavors of the spices and completely transforms itself from a mere fungus to the kind of fungus I would love to devour daily!! (weird again.... I see a trend here.. U do too?) 

And when you dip it into the twisted cheese dip..ahh... the hot mushrooms in the cold dip... the spicy juicy shrooms and the cool creamy dip... Oh God... I am salivating and I just had my dinner!! 
So here goes...
Please make these.. It takes all of 15 mins max..so there is no excuse for you to not try this...atleast once!!

Ingredients for the Mushroom tikka : 


Button Mushroom 1 pack
Ginger Garlic paste 2 tsp
Asafoetida a pinch
Cumin seeds 1/2 tsp
Onion/Nigella seeds 1 tsp
Fennel seeds 1/2 tsp
Mustard seeds 1/2 tsp
Fenugreek seeds 1/2 tsp.
Red chillie powder 1 tbsp (I use kashmiri red chillie powder,ONLY)
Rock salt 1/2 tsp
White pepper powder 1/2 tsp
salt to taste.
Vinegar / lime juice 1 tbsp. 

METHOD:

Take the stems off the mushrooms. wash thoroughly. Pat them dry. 
Heat oil in a kadai. 
Add asafoetida, cumin seeds, onion seeds, fennel seeds, mustard seeds, fenugreek seeds and sauté on low heat.
Turn off the heat, add ginger-garlic paste and mix lightly. 
Turn on the heat again, add mushroom caps and mix. Cook on high heat.
Add red chilli powder, turmeric powder, black salt, salt and toss.
 Add vinegar and mix. 
Cook till almost dry.
Serve hot off the pan with the cheese dip...


INGREDIENTS for the Cheese Dip : 

Processed cheese 3 cubes
Onion 1/2 small
Garlic cloves 3-4
Butter 1 tbsp
Mayonnaise 2 tbsp
Spring onion / chives for garnish
DIll/ parsley chopped fine 1 tbsp
Extra virgin olive oil 1 tbsp or more...
Hot & Sweet tomato ketchup 1 tbsp
Black pepper...a few grinds. 

Method : 
First saute the onion and garlic cloves in butter .. 
Let it cool...
Grate the basic processed cheese, . 
Throw cheese and the sauteed onion garlic with all the buttery residue into a grinder, add a drizzle of olive oil, some pepper, a dash of hot n chiili tomato sauce, mayo and churn..
And presto... ur dip is ready!! 
Serve cold with chopped bits of spring onion or chives... lil bit of parsley n dill... 

Perfect starter for quick rainy evenings.. 
Love. 
S :)