Rustic French Plum & Cherry Galette

http://thenovicegardener.wordpress.com/fiesta-friday/ 
Dare I , Dare I not?? 
Do I, Do I not????? 
Shall I, Shall I not?? 


These were the thoughts going through that ridiculously coward mind of mine when I contemplated what to do with a bag of foolishly, randomly insanely bought plums!!
I questioned its raison d'être...
I questioned my sense..my reasoning..my sanity!
I decided Plums existed merely to mock me, to goad me..to challenge me... 
I told myself to get over it..and make something fabulous with it!!


And I am nothing if not bold...or brave ( choose your fave adjective) :P
So after I got a grip on my spiraling outta control sense, I decided I wouldn't chicken out and make a plum salsa or chutney...thats for more simpler times..not for times when you wanna challenge yourself and broaden your kitchen horizons...spread your wings and try to fly..to France!!

And so after much deliberation and self doubt and questioning , I came to the conclusion that I was insane.Completely and Irrevocably Insane.
You ask why?? 
Coz I..the girl who doesn't bake at all had decided to make...A Plum & Cherry Galette!!




Yowtzaaaa!!! 
Till date I don't know how that happened..or what spurred me to try to bake a galette, but whoever or whatever it was up there, I want to give it a giant Thanks!!

A galette is a traditional French tart  ..well its a "free form" rustic French tart , typically filled with any kind of seasonal fresh fruit, an absolutely delightful flaky pastry and served with some creme` anglaise or vanilla bean ice cream..its such a comforting warm dessert.. Think flaky pastry with the most deliciously jammy sweet cinnamony (is that a word?) plum and cherries filling!

When I had it, it took me to a beautiful rolling valley filled with swaying lavender..blue with rosemary..scented with hollyhocks...a picnic basket by my side, a whole decanter of some delicious Merlot and this gorgeous gorgeous galette with me.... 



Its simply perfect for any weather...
Here's how to make this bold (yet easy) piece of timeless dessert... 


Ingredients :  


For the Pate Brisee (pastry) :
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 1/2 stick unsalted butter. cold. cold into 1/2 inch cubes
1/2 tsp salt
1/3 cup ice cold water
1-2 tsp turbinado sugar (small granules)
1 egg ( optional)

For the filling : 

Good quality ripe plums  1/2 cup (I used about 8 small -medium ones)
Pitted red cherries (fresh /maraschino)1/4 cup
Granulated Sugar 1/4 cup
Light Brown sugar 1/3  cup
Almond Meal 3 Tbsp
Flour 1 tbsp
Unsalted butter cut into small bits 1 1/2 inch
Cinnamon Powder 1/2 tsp
Icing sugar to dust
Vanilla/Whiskey salted caramel sauce to make things more fancy!!



How to :
  1. MAKE THE PATE BRISEE :  Put the flour, butter and salt in a food processor and process for 5 seconds; the butter should still be in pieces. Add the ice water and process for 5 seconds longer, just until the dough comes together; the butter should still be visible.
  1.  
  2. Remove the dough from the processor and gather it into a ball. On a lightly floured surface, roll out the dough into a 16-by-18-inch oval 1/16 to 1/8 inch thick. Drape the dough over the rolling pin and transfer it to a large, heavy baking sheet. Chill the dough until firm, anywhere from 30 minutes to 12 hrs. Preheat the oven to 180 C.
  3. MAKE THE FILLING : In a small bowl, combine 1/4 cup of the sugar , cinnamon powder with the ground almonds and flour. Spread this mixture evenly over the dough to within 2 inches of the edge. Arrange the plum wedges on top, add the cherries and dot with the butter. Sprinkle the brown sugar over the fruit. 
  4.  
  5. Fold the edge of the dough up over the plums to create a 2-inch border. (If the dough feels cold and firm, wait for a few minutes until it softens to prevent it from cracking.) . Make an egg wash by mixing an egg with some water. Using a pastry brush, brush the edges of the galette evenly with the egg wash,..Sprinkle the border with the reserved 1-2 teaspoon of turbinado sugar.
  6. Bake the galette in the middle of the oven for about 1 hour, until the fruit is very soft and the crust is richly browned. If any juices have leaked onto the baking sheet, slide a knife under the galette to release it from the sheet. Dust some icing sugar on the hot fruits.. Let the galette cool to room temperature before serving. 
  7. Serve with a side of creme` anglaise or good old vanilla ice cream and a drizzle of the vanilla/whiskey salted caramel sauce... 
  8. Imagine yourself taking a trip in France....
  9. Bon appetit`! 

 When the moon hits your eye
Like a big pizza pie, that's amore
That's amore
When the world seems to shine
Like you've had too much wine, that's amore
That's amore..
Notes: 
Au Revoir,

S :)