Fenugreek Crackers ..or Methi Mathri


She used to do this for as long as I can remember.Get her hands dirty, work in the hot sun and keep doing something or the other. She still does.


I am talking about my mother here...
And she used to garden...grow flowers and plants and vegetables and even herbs on her own.
Every spring or fall, she would unpack a little packet of seeds, sow them in the brilliant fertile soil of my hometown in Orissa and care for it till they sprouted leaves and became strong!
Just like a mother.



At that point of time I refused to follow her directions, I had an aversion towards the mud.. used to say it will dirty my nails and used to be mortally afraid of insects..you know the creepy crawlies!! 
I still am afraid of them, but gardening...!! Ah.. thts one of the things I love now...
When I used to ask her then that why do you bother to goto so much trouble over vegetables when they are so easily available in the market, she would just bestow me the sweetest smile in the world and say "wait till you become a mom...I do this because I love you."


I used to draw a blank at that. In my adolescent mind growing your own vegetables is definitely not a sign of showing your love for someone!! Hello...  Gift a card or a teddy bear! Yes, I used to be that naive..:P

But today, as I pluck the first ever crop from my own methi plant...I remember those many evenings spent with my mom....I used the exact same method she had shown me back then, to sow my seeds...cover with soil..water..watch them grow..weed out...
And let me just say this, when I plucked the first crop of methi from the pots in my garden, I realised with a bang what she meant by that statement. 



Yes, I grow my own herbs too..And I do it coz I love my baby too... Are you wondering about it too? 
The joy of eating your labours worth of green is something quite honest and unique.. Try this, if you aren't already...and pass on the message of love, independence and self sustenance to your kids... 

To fit the bill, I made something that baby D loves.. Yes, Loves!!
Methi matar mathris..or Fenugreek and pea crackers! 
As she sampled the first cracker and gave a smile and quipped "Ma our methi is yumm", the love in my heart somehow grew ...and stretched like the mountains... 
Yes, this kid is intelligent...and I am sure unlike her daft mom, she will get the meaning of her grandma's statement easily enough... 

Here's to growing your own food,
A garden should be much more than just ornamental. Try growing your veg..You won't go back to the market again.. 
(I am the proud nurturer of over 200 potted plants, a cut lil lawn and a much envied front yard) 
Take my word for it.. 

As a Special Diwali Indulgence , I am bringing this fabulous snacking favourite to my fellow foodie friends at dearest Angie's superb blog http://thenovicegardener.wordpress.com/... and of course want to thank Hilda and Julianna for being such amazing co-hosts! Love you gals..and here's wishing everyone at the fiesta a truly fab Diwali!!  

Pass on the message of love, 
Yours,
S :) 



I made this as an edible gift for my friends along with some other stuff I put together for Diwali. 

Diwali… the most glorious of all festivals...the Indian Christmas is what I call it....Its every bit as beautiful as Chritsmas ...every bit as crazy and yes, every bit as festive!Its the most shiny, sparkly, blingy of all Indian festivals :D Its celebrated for almost 4-5 days at my home..

Glimpses of Diwali celebration at my home : 

1. (Floating candles and gift bags for my guests)


2. The evening lamp..and an Indian Embroidered on Pure Silk Peacock..


3. The colorful Rangoli, at my home entrance....This is a must make! 
PS: This giant of a design had me slaving for over 1.5 hrs over it,alone!! 
Worth the effort you think?  
4. Rangoli... by the diyas light 


There is a lot of mythology surrounding Diwali, as I had mentioned in my earlier post on Dal Makhni...
However, what I love are the amazing light and color it brings to my home, the meeting of family and friends..the raucous laughter,the buoyant spirit , the hope of new that it garners in people..and yes, the snacks.Lets not forget the snacks and sweets here. 
I love the snacks it brings..

5. I light fragrant candles throughout my home and fill it with fresh flowers....


6. Yet another flower and floating light arrangement, in an Urli that sits in my garden


http://www.adishofdailylife.com/2014/10/sandwich-recipes-foodiefridays/
http://thenovicegardener.wordpress.com/

 Now as you all know I suffer from a serious addiction..a-dirty-lil-snacking-addiction, so in order to feed and appease that insatiable lusty addiction of mine, and to make edible gifts for my friends of course, I made these delicious crispy flavorsome Fenugreek Crackers..or Methi Mathri as we call it in India. 

Without further ado, lets make this asap.. I know there is hardly any time left for Diwali, but trust me, you so can do this!!

Ingredients:
1 ½ cup, all-purpose flour
¼ cup, methi (fresh fenugreek leaves), chopped roughly
¼ cup, green peas(matar)
3 tbsp, ghee
½ tsp, red chili flakes
½ tsp, dry mango powder (amchoor)
½ tsp, cumin seeds
½ tsp, carom seeds(ajwain)
A generous pinch ofAsafoetida(hing)
 ½ tsp, crushed black pepper
Salt as per taste
1tsp + for frying, oil
few tbsp of ice cold water


METHOD:-

In a small pan, mix 1 tsp oil and green peas. Cover and cook till green peas are soft and done.Stir occasionally to avoid burning. Mash it well and keep it aside. 

In a bowl, take flour, add salt, cumin, amchoor, hing, red chili flakes and carom seeds, chopped methi, crushed 
pepper corns, mashed peas and mix well.

Add ghee(clarified butter) and mix well. Add 3 tbsp cold water and bring together into a hard dough. Do not add too much water at time. If required add more water. Dont knead the dough..just bring it together like you would for a pie crust.
Cover and rest the dough for 30 minutes.

Divide the dough into small equal balls and flatten them to form disc. Prick the disc  with a fork all over

Heat sufficient oil in a pan. Once the oil is hot, reduce the flame to medium low. Gently slide  the mathris and deep-fry on medium-low heat till golden and crisp.
(You can also bake them.. preheat oven to 350F..and bake for 10-15 mins till golden and crispy. )

Drain and place on an absorbent paper.

Cool completely. Store them in an airtight container
NOTE: Do not fry mathris on high heat else they will burn and remain uncooked within. Frying on high heat will also not get you the perfect crispy and flaky mathris.

 

Labels: , , , , , , , ,