Chicken Ghee Roast/Mangalorean Chicken Curry..



"Ghee"... Its almost a dirty word these days, in some homes atleast! 
But if we are talking about the the Lapetitchef's casa,ghee was, is and will be a staple.. 
I am a believer of "a little of something good, can never be too bad"..and I tend to practise what I teach! So.... there!!
I have ghee...or clarified butter to those unfamiliar to India... 
Its like the more classy,gorgeous and definitely more flavorsome cousin of the boring plain old oil...almost as good as butter... 



In fact for me, ghee is essential in many dishes.. 
I simply cannot fathom the idea of making parathas in oil!! That in my books is a sacrilege that I would never commit.. Don't get me wrong, I can make you your oil wala parathas, but please don't preach to me about the calorie and such mundane things when I am about to savour my flaky gorgeous parathas...
The mere fragrance of home made ghee can change the very dish...All one needs is a tablespoon of this manna from heaven to uplift a pedantic dish to new heights...Think of Biryani without ghee.... would it be the same??? Those who dare to say yes, here's my reply. "You are in DENIAL". It would not, Plain and simple fact. 
Think of Pulao cooked in oil...  Ewwww is the word coming to my mind.. 
Or the basic sooji ka halwa even without ghee?? Seriously??? Would you eat that?? What would be left in it to like??? Semolina???? 
Or even a spoonful of Ghee added over some steaming hot rice, just the way your grandpa used to have for his lunch? Remember?? I still add a teaspoon of  ghee to my baby's rice. Daily. 



Yes, Ghee is essential..in fact even key to some dishes.. There is no getting away from the snare and seductive beckoning of the golden liquid ...
But here's what I do and you can try that too!!
Ghee isn't too fattening if consumed in small quantities and occasionally. Fact. 
Just like its counterpart butter, it should be taken in limit, and lets face it, we tend to consume far more butter than ghee on a daily basis for sure!

So try this dish on one of those days... days which seem too long, too unending... 
Days where you are longing for the night even before you are completely awake.. 
Days that are cold and getting colder by the time... 
Days when you are in need of some warmth....warmth, not just for the body,but also the soul.... 
Try this special Chicken Ghee Roast on one of those days.... Like I did today...
And just like that, suddenly, world will seem like a lovely place again.
...all sunshiny and bright,
....full of endless possibilities,
...........and hopes and dreams!! 

And here's what I am gonna do next... 
Stay off ghee for the next 1 week. Simple. Balance. Thats the key to a happy you..in everything.



Also, do check out my blogger friend and photography inspiration Simi's beautiful link on how to make ghee or clarified butter at home!! Yes, we do it... my mom did,as do I...and with Simi's beautifully explained post, You can too. 
http://www.turmericnspice.com/2013/12/ghee-clarified-butter-in-under-5-minutes.html

Recipe of Chicken Ghee Roast: 

Ingredients

To Marinate (min 4 hrs/ overnight)

Chicken - 1/2 kg cut into medium pieces
Curd - 3 tbsp
Lemon juice - 1/2 lemon
Salt - 1 tsp
Turmeric - 1tsp

To Grind: 

Dry red chilli - 10 nos
Corriander seeds - 2 tsp
Cumin - 1 tsp
Peppercons - 2 tsp
Fenugreek seeds - few
Garlic pods - 10-12
Tamarind paste - 2 tsp

For the Roast 

Ghee - 4 tbsp
Kashimir Red chili powder - 1 tsp 
Curry leaves - 1 spring
Onion sliced long -2 

Method
Notes :

- You can add 2 varieties of red chilli for this recipe the ordinary ones along with Kashmiri red chilli
- The curry that I made was bit spicy you can reduce the number of red chilli and add Kashmiri red chilli powder to get the color
- Make sure that you do not over roast/ burn the spices else the curry will taste bitter
- You can soak a blueberry sized tamarind in 2 tbsps of water to form a paste in case you don't have tamarind paste
- You can also garnish with coriander leaves.
- You can leave out the onions..I happen to like my curries with the flavour that onions bring to it. 

Love,
S :) 
PS: Sorry about the pics, this was made for dinner...so had to use flash...and we can all see the results!! But the dish,..ahhhh... now that tasted way way way better than it looks!! Promise!! :)